This is a 10 part series where we will guide you on all the aspects that you should keep in mind while starting a business.
You have now finalized a name, and may have even registered your business with the authorities. Let’s look at domain names in this part of the How to Start Your Business? series.
A domain name is an identity for your website/business. A good domain name will go a long way in letting people remember about your business and website. So it is important that your domain name should be your business name only.
Today, there are hundreds of domain name extensions available. From .com, .net to .io, .space, .pro, etc. So what should be your domain name?
Well, some people will suggest that you buy a .com domain only, and other extensions are not good for SEO, etc. But not always is a .com domain available. Sometimes, it is being used by some other company in some other part of the world. Then what should you do? Let us have a look at some points which we think can be helpful in deciding the domain extension you need.
- If your business is open to the whole world, it is better to get a .com domain. If .com is not available you can try for .net or .co too. But if that too isn’t available, you can then have a look at different domain extensions currently available with your registrar.
- If your business is open only to the residents of your country, then it is better that you purchase a country specific domain name. For example, if you are from the US, you can purchase .us extension, if you are from the UK, a .uk extension can help, or if you are from India, a .in extension can help. Similarly, there are many other country specific domain extensions, which you can buy.
- If you are a person or a professional and want to have your own website, then you can go with a .me or .pro extension. These are the most popular extensions for personal websites.
- If you have a startup which is going to serve people from all over the world, you would like to have a look at .io extension. The .io extension has been extensively used by internet companies offering SaaS-based products.
- There are many other domain extensions available like .shop, .website, .club, etc. which can serve for specific businesses, and if your business can make use of it, just use it. It forms a special bond with your customer.
Now that we have had a look at a few of the thousands of domain extensions available, it’s time for you to find your ideal domain. Go ahead, get your favorite domain today. In the next part of the series, we will have a look at the hosting environment that you should choose based on your requirements.